What the back of the Neos SmartCam box promises
- Works with Alexa: Ask Alexa to show your Kitchen, Lounge, Nursery, or anywhere else you have your SmartCam, on an Echo dot, Echo Show or Fire Stick connected to your TV.
- 1080p Full HD with Live Stream and 8X Digital Zoom – 2.8mm focal length. 110º wide-angle lens. 1/2.9″ CMOS sensor.
- Motion & noise detection with alerts: When motion or noise is detected a 12-second video clip is automatically recorded.
- FREE Cloud Storage. Videos are stored for 14 days for FREE and secured in an AWS Cloud via end-to-end encryption.
- Night vision: With F2.0 aperture, IR-CUT filter, and four 850nm infrared LEDs. The Neos SmartCam night vision allows you to see up to 9 metres away even in total darkness.
- 2-Way Audio: Listen and talk to your pets or visitors using the SmartCam’s built-in speaker and microphone.
Flexible design: the unique design allows you to point the camera in precisely the right direction. The magnetic base connects to any metal surface or use the included metal plate and adhesive pad to mount the camera anywhere.
- Download clips: Save video clips to your phone with a single tap and share them with your family & friends.
So this little camera (a tiny almost-cube (45 x 50 x 50mm) promises big things of which it does indeed live up to the writing on the box for the small price of £24 BUT I’m not sure if it was just the unit I purchased or a wider issue but the connection dropped all the time. This is a massive problem when the use case is to monitor something remotely and with the constant drops, it renders it useless for that use. I tried it with two different routers, updated all software and it was still dropping. Support was unable to help so I ended up getting a refund.
The build quality of the main unit was good, the stand a little weak but it as a cheaper unit and once you have the location and angle it still not be getting moved so not a huge issue. It does have a magnet in the base of the camera too should you want to “stick” it to something metal.
As you would expect a lot of setting can be tweaked to your preference, like the sound setting needed to activate the recording, the level of motion needed to trigger recording (good for pets etc). Below are some screenshots of the App.
The image quality from the 110-degree lens during day time is good, a little jerky but for the price and use case its good. In low light it does struggles, the build-in IR does help but the best you are going to get is basic.
I would have liked to correct the drop out issues and test more but the returns period was closing in fast and although it was cheap, it was still coming out my own pocket so it had to be returned.
If you would like to support Techun.limited you can pick this Cam up from here